Friday, August 22, 2008

Billboards and Cotton Candy

I’ve really been thinking about culture’s influence on Christianity lately. When I drive home from work every day, billboards scream at me left and right (I don’t notice them in the morning because I’m just waking up). The “me’s” and the “you’s” shouting from the billboards make it difficult not to think about what I want or deserve. I guess I really do need an exotic vacation, a million dollars, and the perfect body.

Many pastors today preach right along with the billboards: “You can have it all now.” “Believe in yourself.” “God wants to bless you.” “God wants to make you rich.” The focus is drenched on man, but very little attention is upon God. This kind of teaching feels so good. It tickles my ears. I begin to think there really is so much greatness in me if I just tap into it. It even tastes like cotton candy but in the end, it bites me with a bitter, awful taste.

The truth is that living a life committed to Jesus Christ is far from this sugar-coated mentality of “Jesus wants to bless me and I am so great.” True Christianity calls me to a life of surrender (giving away my life), sacrifice, hardship, humility, loss, pain, and more. Yes, God does promise blessing and joy when I live life in Him and I am the first to say I experience his fullness every day, but he also tells me that above all else my heart is deceitfully wicked and apart from Him, I can do nothing. This message is very conflicting with the message we hear in culture and even in churches today. And I might be lucky if I catch these words on a billboard. I have to constantly examine what my eyes and ears are taking in and line it up with Scripture.

Donald Miller, author of Blue Like Jazz, has been really great to partner with us in creating a message on this topic. He takes on this subject in a new light in Free Market Jesus.
This DVD study contains an hour long talk Don gave at our Dallas LeadNow+Fusion Conference last fall. It’s split into two 30 minute talks and comes with some great break out questions to help facilitate discussion amongst your group. Don has been a long time friend of RightNow and our conferences. I’ve talked with many leaders this past week who were so refreshed by his simple yet profound insight into Jesus and culture. I think you’ll enjoy it too.

Do you think many churches are teaching a false gospel? How has cultured shaped your view on true Christianity?

Digg this

No comments: