Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Serving Internationals and Serving Internationally

Kimmie’s Story— Working with International Students, Inc. to Fulfill the Great Commission

Kimmie contacted RightNow with a passion to work with international students in her community.This is her story:

I had come to realize soon after serving in a large church that my heart went out to those who weren't seeking God. Soon after that realization I knew somehow I had to respond. NEW PLAN: move overseas and do missions abroad. God used a wise man to halt my steps. After I was encouraged to wait and pray longer, God laid on my heart internationals here in the states. I had no idea how to get involved with internationals here. I had already begun talking with RightNow. The Mission Coaches there helped me connect some pieces by getting me in touch with International Students, Inc, a ministry whose focus is on international students here in the states--students who are leaders and future leaders of their countries. This was even bigger than I expected. This September I stopped volunteering with ISI and became full-time staff. Currently I'm raising support to take that next step of faith toward fulfilling the Great Commission. God used RightNow and ISI to get me exactly where I needed to be. I'd encourage you to tell the Mission Coaches at RightNow what God has lain on your heart; I never imagined there'd be a ministry like ISI already doing the work God asked me to join.

-Kimmie Carlson

International Students, Inc. exists to share Christ's love with international students and to equip them for effective service in cooperation with the local church.

Marissa’s Story— Implementing her Passion for Social Work All Over the World with Adventures in Missions

Marissa contacted RightNow on the web in February 2008 as a senior at Texas Tech University. As a Social Work major, Marissa had a huge desire to get involved with international social work and fight for social justice by connecting with the homeless and developing relationships. She spent the month of March 2008 fasting and praying that God would provide the right opportunity for her to put her faith in action.

She stayed in contact with her RightNow Mission Coach who put her in contact with Adventures in Missions World Race Program. She applied and has been accepted on the June 2009 World Race team. On the World Race, Marissa will visit 11 countries in 11 months and fulfilling the desire of her heart – to connect and develop relationships with those less fortunate and victims to social injustices.

The World Race is about adventure, ministry, community, self-discovery, and growth. It's more than a mission trip - it's a pilgrimage.

Digg this

No comments: